Comments: FFToolbox Podcast NFL Mock Draft
Because we love doing mock drafts here at FFToolbox - in particular Matt De Lima and yours truly - we dedicated Tuesday's podcast to doing exactly that. Starting with the Kansas City Chiefs at No. 1 and ending with the Baltimore Ravens, we made selections and offered insight for all 32 first-round picks.
The raw selections are below. For all the details, alternate scenarios, insight on the Bears from Chicago Sun-Times NFL writer Sean Jensen plus thoughts on those teams without first-round picks (Seahawks, Redskins), click here for a listen. We go for a long time, but since we go in order of the draft, bounce around as you listen. Jensen comes on around 75 minutes in. Cool? Cool.
Matt made the odd-number picks, leaving the evens for me...
1) Chiefs - Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
2) Jaguars - Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
3) Raiders - Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida State
4) Eagles - Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah...By this time next week, maybe Geno Smith is a slam dunk pick for the Eagles. I just don't see it. Michael Vick is still around, Smith is no lock as a franchise QB and their defensive front-seven is lacking just a bit. So I pass on giving the Eagles a passer even if sending a guy named Geno to Philly would be awesome. For more on the idea of Smith being a top-5 lock, listen to my earlier podcast with draft guru Tony Pauline.
5) Lions - Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU...offensive tackle, corner, pass rusher, oh my do the Lions have options here. Only fear with passing on a pass protector here is the second-round depth is not so great, even at the top.
6) Browns - Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
7) Cardinals - Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
8) Bills - Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia...Hard imagining the Bills entering camp with Kevin Kolb and Tavaris Jackson atop the depth chart. If Buffalo is set on taking Syracuse's Ryan Nassib later in the draft, then no Smith here -- which sets up possibly a step drop for the No. 1 rated passer.
9) Jets - Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
10) Titans - Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
11) Chargers - Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
12) Dolphins - D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
13) Bucs - Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
14) Panthers - Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina
15) Saints - Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
16) Rams - Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia...If safety-needy, St. Louis passes on Texas' Kenny Vaccaro, good chance a reach pick comes at 22 (that's called foreshadowing). However, isn't it about time the Rams give Sam Bradford some explosive weapons already???